Trap Rap Beats















Hip-Hop Listening Club #9: Various Artists - 2 Fast 2 Furious (Soundtrack)

u/TheOddscreen is tied up with SXSW, so I decided to pick up the slack this week with my favorite hip hop movie soundtrack for this week's Listening Club.

Background:

Released under The Def Jam South imprint, the album was spearheaded by appearances from Ludacris and several of his Disturbing Tha Peace crew members like Chingy, Shawna, I-20, and 2 Chainz (when he still went by Tity Boi), and other Def Jam rappers or affiliates. Joe Budden's "Pump it Up" was the leading single to this album, which I thought was interesting to note considering that this soundtrack came out before Joe Budden's first album, thus his biggest song's album debut was not on his own. The album's second single, "Act A Fool" became the film's theme song and Ludacris did a great job of setting the tone with this track, and outlandish car features described add to his character's and the film's idea of doing the most with your car.

Let's take it to the streets 'cause I'm ready to cruise

Just bought me and my cars all some brand new shoes

And the people just stare so I love to park it

And I just put a computer in the glove compartment

With my pedal to the floor, radar in the grille

TV in the middle of my steering wheel

It's my car's birthday so we blowin' them candles

More speakers in the trunk than my ride can handle

Got my name in the headrest, read it and weep

NOS tank in the back, camel hair on the seat

This is my favorite hip hop movie soundtrack as some of the songs played in the movie add so much to the scene it's playing in, giving character to not only the moment, but to some of the cars as well. I always think back to hearing Pitbull's Oye playing right when Brian and Roman are shown the Eclipse and the EVO, and the scene soon after where we are introduced to the Dodge Charger and Challenger, set to the tune of Trick Daddy's Represent. Speaking of which, it was cool to have both rappers featured in this soundtrack considering the film was set in Miami. Another pivotal song moment that always stuck out to me was 8Ball's "Hands In The Air" which served to compliment the main antagonist in the club scene before his big villain moment.

Wanted to close out this with a quote by John Singleton from his Hollywood Reporter interview on the production of 2 Fast 2 Furious which I thought was relevant in discussing this album:

It was awesome. The heads of the studio at the time were just like, just make it fun, make it cool, make it this gen. I didn’t do all that techno music that they did in the first movie. I used nothing but Southern Hip Hop which was like the rage at the time. I just funked it up, I made it more multi-ethnic. They kind of followed the paradigm that I set up.

Album: 2 Fast 2 Furious: The Soundtrack

Label: Def Jam South

Producer: Various

Representing: Atlanta, Georgia; Miami, Florida

Streaming Sources:

YouTube

Spotify

Apple Music

Tidal

Guidelines:

This is an open thread to share your thoughts on the album. Avoid vague statements of praise or criticism. This is your chance to be a critic.

Please keep any top level comments to 140+ characters unless you have a simple question to ask about the album.

Why do you like this album? What are the best tracks? Did it meet your expectations? Have you listened to this album before? What is your first impression? Explain why you like it or why you don't.

Remember, people who participate in the discussion in a meaningful way will be entered into a drawing to select next week's album!

submitted by /u/CaptainGordan
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/hiphopheads/comments/11sm8vg/hiphop_listening_club_9_various_artists_2_fast_2/

Comments